GCF works through a range of organizations to mobilize its funds. Organizations with specialized capacities can apply to become Accredited Entities. Accredited entities can be private, public, non-governmental, sub-national, national, regional or international bodies with clear, detailed and actionable climate change projects or programmes. They must also meet GCF standards based on financial standards, environmental and social safeguards, and gender.
There are two types of GCF Accredited Entities, based on access modalities: Direct Access Entities and International Access Entities.
Direct Access Entities or National Implementing Entities (NIE) are sub-national, national or regional organizations that need to be nominated by National Designated Authorities (NDAs) or focal points in a developing country. Nominated organizations may be eligible to receive GCF readiness support - a funding designed to help interested organizations prepare to become Accredited Entities and also to strengthen the organizational capacities of those that have already been accredited.
Any subnational, national, regional, public or private organizations can apply to become to become accredited as as NIE, provided it has:
- A legal status: it has to be legally established within Bangladesh
- An institutional system: with robust policies, procedures and guidelines
- A track record: so it can demonstrate that it implements above policies, procedures and guidelines
For a list of National Implementing Entities (NIE) in Bangladesh, click here
International Access Entities or Multilateral Implementing Entities (MIE) comprise of United Nations agencies, multilateral development banks, international financial institutions and regional institutions. GCF considers these organizations to have the wide reach and expertise to handle a range of climate change issues across borders and thematic areas. International Access Entities do not need to be nominated by developing country NDAs / focal points.
For a list of Multilateral Implementing Entities (MIE) in Bangladesh, click here
Organizations that are not Accredited Entities can engage with the fund in the following ways:
- Partnering with an Accredited Entity or implementing its approved GCF project
- Co-financing projects with an already Accredited Entity
- Acting as a readiness delivery partner, provided that the organization can demonstrate relevant expertise, experience and ability to implement projects